I’m not very well so I won’t waffle on too much.
I did a brew day today in between going to the doctor and doing the child care run and shopping. My head wasn’t really with it so I made a few mistakes and the result is below par. Anyway… I brewed the Dry Stout from Brewing Classic Styles. It yielded two cubes of 9.2 Plato wort. One cube 15.7L and the other is 17.8L + a starter of about 1.5L in the Erlenmeyer flask.
9.2P is a too low, it should be around 10.5. I guess it’s low because I only did a 1 hour mash so that I could do it in between the doctor appointment and picking my daughter up. Better low than not at all. It’ll end up being quite a low alcohol beer.
I bought a 24L container designed as a jerry can for water. It says 20L on it but I checked the volume by weight. The thing that has been stopping me from brewing slightly larger batches has been the size of the no-chill cubes I use (16.5L). Now that I am packaging into 19L kegs I’m keenly aware of the couple of litres of unused space at the top of each keg. Actually it’s usually when it’s at the bottom of the keg when you notice it the most. I’m going to scale everything up by a couple of litres so that I can fill two kegs from each brew that I do.
I’m going to bed.